Wednesday 12 September 2012

Thing 14 moving swiftly onto 15

I meant to look at one of the following bibliographic tools, Zotero / Mendeley / CiteULike, at my leisure over the summer holidays.  Honestly, really I did.  As the CPD23 blog post says I also laboriously typed my bibliography up myself when I did my dissertations, but I did do them in the dark old ages of 1997 and 2004, so taking a look at software which makes it a slightly less laborious process is a sensible thing, especially as I will (honest, really I will), get around to starting my Chartership portfolio (right after I attend a portfolio writing course on the 27th of this month).  It will also be useful in my dual role as sort of Senior Librarian and Assistant Head of Sixth Form to share with the Year 12 and 13 students.  We currently tell them about http://www.neilstoolbox.com/bibliography-creator/ which allows users to generate a bibliographic record, Harvard style, which can then be cut and pasted into a bibliography and also tell them about the iCite app for the Iphone, giving access to records in Worldcat, so an understanding of a free tool which will allow them to import, export references etc will be another tool in the fight against the cut and paste generation!  The only issue I can see is the need to download Zotero and Mendeley as this will prevent students (and me) from using them in school due to the firewall restrictions etc.
 
However onto Thing 15; attending, presenting and organising seminars, conferences and other events.  Whew!  Where do I start?  Previous posts entitled Libcampsw 2012, Recent CPD and Sharing Good Practice: Social Media demonstrate what events, seminars and conferences I have either attended or attended AND presented at over the past year, including Libcampsw, Use of Ipads in teaching and learning at the Apple Regional Training, Cyberlibrary as part of the Plymouth Area Secondary Heads' training day as well as two relating to my management & careers aspects of my role.  I delivered a session on Social Media at the Cyberlibrary event, focusing on tools such as Twitter, Prezi, Animoto, Glogster etc as well as the use of Ipads in the LRC.  I also pitched an idea for a session at Libcampsw, facilitating the session when people actually came to it much to my relief. Over the years, I have presented at various conferences, including one where I received payment from RTA on Managing an Outstanding Library/LRC.  In addition I have presented workshops to teachers at my school on cooperative learning and Thinking Maps as part of the teachers' inhouse CPD programme and also delievered teaching and learning sessions at whole city events to NQTs (newly qualified teachers) and student teachers.  In my experience, although presenting at a conference, workshop etc is nerve wracking, it does get easier providing you are properly prepared for any eventuality (even people walking out) and the immense personal satisfaction you get makes it worth it. 
 
Part of my PPDP (Personal Professional Development Plan) for my chartership aimed to improve communication between school libraries in the city, especially raising awareness of digital literacy and social media and although I  have established better links with some schools and their library staff, visibly seeing their journeys with social media extend and expand, I have not had much success with others, partly due to my fear of treading on the local SLS's toes (the other schools are not members and so it has been easier to share good practice).  Perhaps a LibMeet after school this year would be a possibility with people offering bite size training sessions on good practice - maybe a follow up to an event on social media hosted by the SLS with CILIP President Phil Bradley next month. Hmmm.....

No comments:

Post a Comment